Similar to skin, hair is made up of layers. The outer layer, or cuticle, consists of dead cells lying on top of one another like tiles on a roof. This protects the middle layer, or cortex, which is composed of long, coiled proteins that make up the bulk of the hair. A split end occurs when the protective cuticle is worn away on the tip of a strand, allowing the fibers of the cortex to unravel and the hair to split lengthwise. As a result, the hair splits into two or three strands, each two to three centimeters long, at its tips. Although cutting the split ends is the best way to get rid of split ends, the problem would reoccur after the strand grows once again. Therefore, opting for effective remedies for split ends is suggested. Learn how to get rid of split ends, with the tips given in the following lines
Precautions against Split Ends
- An effective remedy for split ends is trimming. Trim your hair regularly, say, about two to three centimeters from the tip. This can prevent the occurrence of split ends. To do this at home, take a small section of your hair and then gently twist it in a downward motion. The split ends will stick out by doing this. Locate the split ends, sticking out of the twisted hair, and trim them off, using a sharp pair of scissors.
- To keep your hair healthy and prevent the occurrence of split ends, you should wash your hair regularly and condition it well. Always wash your hair from the root to the tip, in case of very dry and brittle hair. Since the tips of the hair strands are deprived of the protective layer of cuticle, doing this will ensure that, your hair doesn't split anymore.
- While conditioning your hair, apply the conditioner in your hair, from the root to tip, and cover your head with a shower cap, with all your hair inside it. Now, place a towel, dampened with lukewarm water, on the top of the cap. Leave it there for about 10 minutes. Remove the cap and rinse your hair thoroughly, with cold water. The treatment is a surefire way to get rid of split ends. This will help you to get rid of the split ends, if you do it once a week on a regular basis.
- In case your hair is extremely dry, apply a shampoo that contains moisturizing cream in it. This will moisten your dry hair as well as prevent split ends. Give regular lukewarm oil massages to your hair, to prevent split ends. While massaging, make sure that you apply the oil from the root to tip of your hair. You may choose coconut oil, almond oil or olive oil for the purpose.
- Vigorous brushing or combing of hair can cause split ends. This is because harsh treatment of the hair may remove the protective cuticle layer from the strands. Hence, use a wide-toothed comb, to detangle your hair. Always brush/comb your hair gently.
- Always brush your hair when it is dry. Brushing wet hair will not only lead to hair loss, but also remove the cuticle from the strands. Using a soft-bristled brush, comb you hair down from the crown to the tip of your strands, in a gently manner.
Natural Home Remedies for Split Ends
- Take half of a ripe medium sized papaya. Slice after skinning and deseeding it. Put it in a blender and blend it to a pulp. Add half cup of yogurt and apply lavishly to your scalp. Part your hair at regular intervals and apply to hair strands and hair ends. Leave it on for 30 minutes. Rinse hair thoroughly with warm water.
- After you shampoo your hair, use the following tonic: take half cup milk; add to this a tablespoon of cream. Beat it up. Apply on the scalp, hair strands and hair ends. Leave it on for 15 minutes. Rinse and wash well with water. This helps to get rid of split end.
- Take half a cup of curd. Add to this a table spoon full of honey. Mix well. Apply on the scalp and hair strands and hair ends. After 20 minute, wash with water. There will be a remarkable change in the sheen and smoothness of your hair.
- Take half a cup of black dal (lentil). Add one table spoon of fenugreek (methi) seeds. Dry and grind to a coarse powder. Add half a cup of curd. mix well. Apply generously all over the scalp. Leave it for 2 hours. Wash your hair with water using a mild shampoo. This helps to get rid of split end.