Manicure or caring for nails is an essential part of hand care. Regular manicures help to keep the hands clean and healthy. A manicure involves the following steps:
- Trimming and shaping your nails.
- Massaging the nails.
- Polishing the nails.
- Applying nail enamel (optional).
A proper manicure can be carried on at home. One needs to follow these under mentioned steps:
- Start by cleaning you nails. If you are wearing nail enamel use a nail enamel remover to remove all traces of enamel from your nails.
- Use a mild soap and lukewarm water to clean you hands and fingernails. Use a nail brush to clean the portion under your nails.
- A manicure begins by exfoliating your hands. You can use any hand scrub for exfoliating your hands.
- Moisturize your hands thoroughly using a moisturizing lotion or hand cream. Apply the moisturizer in gentle but firm rotatory movements of your hands. Leave on the moisturizer on your hands for about 8 minutes. Remove the moisturizer using cotton wool balls moistened with water.
- The next step involves removing the dead skin around your cuticles. Apply a cuticle remover cream to your nails and massage the area gently to remove all unwanted particles.
- You may also soak your fingers in a bowl of warm water or olive oil to push the cuticles back.
- You may also use a cotton-wool tipped orange stick or a cotton bud, dipped in olive oil or wheat germ oil to push back your cuticles. Remember the half-moon shaped area of your nails should be revealed.
- Use a nail file to shape your nails. Use the file in one direction only to avoid damage to your nails.
- Use a buffer to buff your nails—use the buffer in one direction, only. Remember a buffer and a nail file should be used gently and in slow movements.
- Use a cotton-wool tipped orange stick or a cotton bud, dipped in olive oil or wheat germ oil to clean the area under your nails. Do this gently.
- Now use olive oil or wheat germ oil to massage your nails. Leave the oil for about 8-10 minutes.
- Use a soft towel to wipe off the oil.
- Use a chamois or a piece of flannel to rub melted beeswax onto your nails. Polish your nails till they get a smooth, pearly finish.