Orissa News
 
 
SET OUR LINK
ON YOUR
BLOG OR SITE

 Architecture of the temple of Lord Jagannath at Puri

Jagannath Temple of PuriThe architecture of the Jagannath temple is a fine expression of the Panchratha style of Kalinga style of architecture with fully developed Jagamohan,Bhogamandap & a natyamandap.Lord Jagannath is considered to be a royal person and is thus provided with such facilities like the audience hall (Jagamohan),dining hall (Bhogamandapa) and a dancing hall (Natyamandapa). Besides, he is further provided with horses, gold, jewelry, silken clothes and a lofty abode (Vimana) for his residence.

The Jagannath temple has four gates and two very big concentric walls. Incidentally it is the only temple in the entire state to have four gates each in inner and outer walls. The outer wall of Jagannath temple is known as Meghanada Prachira (665 ft.by 650 ft.).The inner one as Kurma beda (420 ft. by 315 ft).

The main entrance on the east is called Simhadwara or the Lion gate, which is the symbol of strength. The southern gate is the next important one where symbol of horse shows the military power of the king. The western gate of the temple at Puri Jagannath is called Byaghradwara or the tiger gate which signifies energy and the northern gate called Hastidwara indicates prosperity. The spiritual significance of these symbols are however linked to man's eternal seeking. While the Simha dwara represent Dharma (lion),the Hastidwara(Elephant) symbolizes Artha .The Ashwadwar (Horse) represents Karma and the Byghradwar (Tiger) symbolizes Moksha .

The entire temple as is seen today is a part of additions to the main temple over many years. Historical evidences suggest that the subsidiary temples and the outer bounder walls were built at a later stage. Taking the writings of Madal Panji into account, the outer Prachira was built by King Kapilendradeva (1435-1497).The inner prakara called the Kurma beda was built by Purusottamadeva (1467-1497) who also built the Bhogamandapa of the temple. Similarly the Aruna stambha now in the front of the eastern Singhadwara was brought from Konark in the later half of the 18th century.

Back