Orissa News
 
 
SET OUR LINK
ON YOUR
BLOG OR SITE

On 1st January, 1948, 25 princely States merged in the province of Orissa. In pursuance of the provisions of the Administration of Orissa Order, an Assembly for Orissa States called "Orissa State Assembly" was constituted with 36 members. These included 31 Members appointed by the Provincial Government from the merged States and five ex-officio Members namely, the Prime Minister of Orissa, three Members of the Executive Council constituted under the said order to aid and advise the Governor in the administration of the princely States and the Chief Administrator and Special Commissioner.

After the final merger of princely States with Orissa the seats in the Legislative Assembly was increased from 60 to 91 w.e.f. from the first day of August, 1949 under the States Merger (Governor's Provinces) Order, 1949. On the 9th September 1949 the Governor-General of India nominated 31 persons to fill the additional seats in the Orissa Provincial Legislative Assembly to represent the people of the states or group of states. Thus during the period two Assemblies were functioning, viz., the Orissa Provincial Assembly and the Orissa States Assembly.

On the 30th September, 1946, a motion was adopted in the Assembly to shift the Capital of Orissa from Cuttack to Bhubaneswar. In the year 1948, a separate department was formed for the administration of Assembly affairs under the Administrative control of the Home Department of Government of Orissa. After merger of princely States and inclusion of 31 representatives from the States, the historic session was held in the New Capital at Bhubaneswar for the three days on 10th, 11th and 12th October, 1949 after which it shifted back to Cuttack. The Assembly had altogether 14 sessions with 224 sitting days and it was dissolved on the 20th February, 1952.

1952 - First Assembly of Orissa Legislative Council

(under the constitution of India)

Under the Constitution of India, the strength of the Orissa Legislative Assembly was raised to 140. The first General Election on the basis of the universal adult franchise was held from 20th December, 1951 to 24th January, 1952 for 36 days. The strength of the political parties in the First Assembly in 1952 was as follows:


Congress 67
Ganatantra Parishad 31
Socialist Party 10
Communist Party 7
Forward Block (M) 1
Independents 24
           &nb sp;            Total            &nbs p;  140

The Members of the First Assembly took oath on the 4th March, 1952. Raja Shri Sailendra Narayana Bhanja Deo, a Member of the Assembly administered oath to the Members. The First Session of the Assembly was held on the same day in New Capital, Bhubaneswar in the building which is now known as Sardar Patel Hall. Shri Nabakrushna Choudhury as the Leader of the majority party became the Chief Minister on 20th February, 1952. Shri Nabakrushna Choudhury resigned on the 19th October, 1956 and Dr. Harekrushna Mahtab was appointed as the Chief Minister on the same day. Shri Shradhakar Supakar of Ganatantra Parishad was the Leader of the Opposition of the First Assembly. The First Assembly had all total 9 sessions with 356 sitting days and it was dissolved on 4th March, 1957. Shri Nanda Kishore Das and Maulavi Mahammed Hanif were elected Speaker on the 6th March, 1952 and the Deputy Speaker on the 8th March, 1952, respectively.

1957 - Second Assembly of Orissa Legislative Council

The General Election for the Second Assembly was held from the 24th February, 1957 to the 12th March, 1957. The elected members took oath on the 10th and 11th April, 1957. Shri Nanda Kishore Das, Speaker of the Assembly, administered oath to the Members. The First Session was summoned to meet on the 27th May, 1957. There was a demand to separate the administrative control of Assembly from Home Department. On the 11th December, 1957 as a result of a point of privilege raised in the Assembly, a committee was formed by the House to give a final report. In 1958, Assembly Department was declared a separate Secretariat (Vide Home Department Order No.20359—A, dated the 26th September, 1958).

The party position of the Second Assembly in 1957 was as follows: