- Excess salt in any dish can be brought down by adding diced potatoes, tomatoes or a teaspoon of sugar.
- When you are making vadas, if the batter is watery - you will have the problem of oil splattering when you fry it. Add a tablespoon of ghee to the batter and your problem will be solved.
- To thicken any gravy or soup add corn flour to it. It is an excellent thickening agent. Remember to mix it in good water before adding to avoid lumps.
- While making any pasta add salt to the boiling water in which you are cooking it. That will be the only chance you get to salt it. Add salt after the water boils. If you add it before , it will take a longer time to boil.
- To avoid sticky rice, soak washed rice in water for at least ten minutes before cooking. A teaspoon of oil can be added to get separate grains of cooked rice.
- While making a deep fried dish, if the hot oil starts foaming and rises in the pan, add a small piece of tamarind to the oil. This will prevent foaming and spill over.
- If you want to have soft idlis, do not beat the batter before pouring idlis. The air bubbles in the batter helps you to get soft idlis. Beating the batter removes these air bubbles.
- Chill the onions in refrigerator before cutting to avoid tears. One other way to avoid tears is to soak peeled onion is water before cutting.
- To get crisp, golden dosas add a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds to the urad dal and grind it.
- Add a pinch of sugar while cooking any green leaf vegetables. This will help maintain the bright green color.
- For maintaining the bright color of any vegetable don't forget to put it in ice cold water as soon as you blanch them.
- To keep apples from turning brown, add little citrus juice like the juice of a lemon or orange and toss apples in it.
- A pinch of turmeric powder added to all kinds of dal when cooking hastens the cooking process.
- Remove the stems from chilies before storing them. This will keep them fresher for a long time.
- It is better to use round dishes in the microwave oven rather than square or rectangular dishes as round dishes spread heat faster.
- Oil applied to dal before it is cooked helps it to cook faster by softening the proteins.
- Lady Finger curry won't turn out sticky if you add a pinch of 'amchur' (dry mango powder) to it.